August 30, 2014

Learning...For Parents & the Child

I received a phone call from Jensen's teacher on the second week of school. When she said, "I hate to have to make this call," I knew it was not good! After being put in time out for not listening and behaving, Jensen stuck his tongue out at the teacher. WHAT!?!?!? I can't tell you how embarrassed and upset we were.
So we've been having A LOT of conversations with Jensen about making good choices, being a leader and not following what others in the classroom may be doing, respect and what it means to be a good listener.

The other night, after he had all bedtime books taken away (the worst punishment you can give Jensen - he's devastated!), Jensen and I had a long conversation about the importance of making good choices. He looked at me so sincerely and so serious and said, "But mommy, HOW do I make good choices?"
A few days later, we were in the car on the way home from a doctor appointment where he hadn't been listening. Again, we were having a talk, this time about the importance of being a good listener. He said, "I really want to be a good listener. HOW do I become a better listener?"

So true! We tell him all the time we want him to be a better listener and he needs to work on making good choices and he just wants to know HOW to do it!

Good news is that when I saw his teacher this week she said his behavior has improved so much since the day he had gotten in trouble. I think he's got a rowdy class and his teacher definitely has her hands full! We're all learning lessons!

One more Jensen story....He came home Friday from school with a note from his teacher saying he'd complained of a stomach ache during school, was taken to the nurse, but didn't have a fever. She mentioned there is a stomach bug going around the school. Jensen asked me to read the note to him so I did. A few minutes later, again quite serious, he asked, "But why do I have a bug in my stomach?"

Luckily after a good night sleep, he's back to normal! Up at 6am on his own and downstairs putting puzzles together while only the light of what was coming through the window at that time of the morning!

No comments: